Diabetes is a condition, wherein blood glucose levels are above normal. Most of the food we eat is converted into glucose, or sugar, which our bodies use for energy. The pancreas, an organ that lies near the stomach, produces a hormone called insulin to help glucose get into the cells of our bodies.
When a person has diabetes, the body either does not manufacture enough insulin, or cannot use its own insulin as it should. This condition causes sugar to build up in the blood. This disease can create negative health complications, which include heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, and lower-extremity amputations. Diabetes is considered as the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. And according to Francisco Pasaporte, President of the Philippine Association of Diabetes Educators, 500 Filipinos are being diagnosed with diabetes everyday (as of June 2008).
Signs And Symptoms Of Diabetes
Individuals who think they might have diabetes must first consult with a physician for proper diagnosis. Some of the common symptoms of diabetes are frequent urination, excessive thirst, unexplained weight loss, sudden vision changes, extreme hunger, numbness or tingling in the hands or feet, very dry skin and sores that are slow to heal.
AMPALAYA (BITTER MELON) EXTRACT
Bitter Melon is reported to help in the treatment of diabetes and psoriasis. It has also been reported that Bitter Melon may help in the treatment of HIV
• Aids in sugar regulation by suppressing the neural response to sweet taste stimuli
• Useful for those with diabetes mellitus
• Lectins from bitter gourd may possess significant antilipolytic and lipogenic properties
• Useful as an emetic, purgative, and as an anthelmintic, in jaundice, and piles
BANABA EXTRACT (Lagerstroemia Speciosa L.)
Banaba has been used in Filipino folkloric herbal medicine for the treatment of diabetes for centuries. Aside from the medicinal value of Banaba, as a herbal medicine, it is also good for the health. Banaba contains high concentrations of dietary fiber and minerals such as zinc and magnesium.
Benefits & Treatment of Banaba:
• Fights obesity
• Helps regulate blood pressure
• Good for the kidney
• Aids the digestive system
• Helps ease urination
TURMERIC (Curcuma Longa)
1) Lowering LDL cholesterol – Studies have shown that turmeric lowers LDL cholesterol levels. LDLs are responsible for the build up of plaque in the arteries that could lead to heart disease.
2) Treating High Blood Pressure – Turmeric has been shown to improve blood flow as well as strengthen blood vessels.
3) Guard Against Cancer – Studies point to turmeric’s ability to neutralize free radicals, chemicals that could damage cells. Turmeric can ward off cancer and tumorous growths.
4) Promoting General Health – Turmeric extract contains powerful antioxidants which can help boost the body’s immune system and protect against illness and disease.
Other Turmeric Benefits
Some of the other turmeric benefits include protecting the liver, aiding in digestion and helping with irritable bowel syndrome.
Several studies corroborate the fact that Gymnema leaf can increase insulin secretion. In many diabetes cases, insulin secretion is lower than normal which explains the difficulty of the body to control and regulate the blood sugar levels.
This supplement also reduces body weight and weight gain.
This leaf is so effective in controlling diabetes that patients on medication have been able to discontinue the use of conventional drugs.
This dietary supplement also has the ability to eliminate the desire and craving for sweets, sugar and candies. By doing this, it reduces weight and helps people get a healthier diet.
It lowers cholesterol and helps the body develop a good balance between body fat and lean muscle mass.